Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Super Power


When I created this blog, I intended it to be mainly for attempting to process some of what's happening during this journey to becoming a mom... but before this journey started, I wanted nothing more than to become a teacher, so I put every ounce of energy into making that dream come true.  I think these two roads are intertwined, what better teacher is there than a loving parent?  Working with kids brings me indescribably joy and, because I love kids, I can hardly believe how blessed I am that as I am writing this, my very own tiny, living, breathing, beautiful human being is growing inside of me.  Wow... I've got to just let that sink in a minute... goosebumps.

I used to think watching caterpillars transform into delicate butterflies was fascinating, and okay, I will always be a major science dork who revels in the mysteries of the natural world, but wow, my body is doing something even more amazing! 
But I digress...
Today was one of those days at school where I felt the need to pinch myself (not really, oww!) and think, "Wow... this is how I get to spend my days?!"  Don't get me wrong, it's not all gumdrops and daisies, there are a million and one things about working in public education that cause major stress and frustration, but I've learned over time that those things are beyond my control.  The plain and simple truth is that being in my classroom with "my" kids is a gift and one that I don't take for granted... even when it's the cah-razy type of day when everyone has bed head & and "I-don't-wanna-be-in-school-itus", can't find their pencils, are catapulting tiny bits of paper & eraser with warped paper clip contraptions and every kid's mission is to annoy the friend sitting next to them... still, teaching is magic... even when I'm pregnant and not drinking coffee!  Now that's a super power!


Today in Reading Workshop we were talking about metacognition (fancy, I know... if you don't know this word, you should know it's my very favorite and my entire 55+ page graduate thesis focused on it) and how thoughtful readers pay attention to that special inner voice while they read.  I "showed" my kids my thinking with a giant thought bubble (with a hole cut out for my face, this was hysterical to 2nd graders) and explained to them that our thoughts are constant & ever present while we read, we just have to learn to tune in and listen close to hear them.  I could go on and on (seriously, I could, just ask my husband who's listened to my educational ramblings for nearly a decade) but the gist is that an entire room of 7-8 year olds were mesmerized and beyond excited to go get their books & sticky notes and try out this kind of thinking for themselves.  Begging... to read...7 year olds... TRUTH! It was magical and I was so happy to be a part of it, I could have shed a tear.  That's what I call magic!  I can't wait to spark this kind of love for reading, thinking, wondering & discovering in my little one. 

No comments: